Yellow Ribbon Consideration
Effective August 2009, as part of the new GI Bill Chapter 33 program, the VA introduced the Yellow Ribbon program. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can waive up to 50% of those expenses and the VA will match the same amount as the institution.
All of the schools at Duke will again participate in this program during the 2014-15 academic year. The number of students covered and the amount provided varies by school and degree level (see below).
Per Eligible Student
|Fuqua School of Business||Masterfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Law School||Doctoral (JD)||email@example.com|
|Law School||Master's (LLM)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nicholas School of the Environment||Masteremail@example.com|
|School of Nursing||Doctoralfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|School of Nursing||Masteremail@example.com|
|School of Nursing||Bachelor's (ABSN)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pratt School of Engineering||Master's (Eng Mgmt)||email@example.com|
|Pratt School of Engineering||Bachelorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sanford School of Public Policy||Master's (MPP)||email@example.com|
|Trinity College of Arts and Sciences||Bachelorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Note: The number of awards listed in the chart above are total awards approved for the academic year. This number includes current students.|
Notification of Award
According to VA regulations, students must be awarded this grant on a first-come, first-served basis within each category. First-come, first-served will be determined solely by the date/time when Dawn Schaefer/Steven Wilson receives the COE of a matriculated student.
The respective Financial Aid Office will notify you if you've been selected to receive the Yellow Ribbon grant.
Other Stipulations of the Yellow Ribbon Program:
- Per VA regulations, Duke may not expand its Yellow Ribbon offering during the academic year. Each institution must enroll in the program each academic year, but once enrolled cannot change its commitment for that year.
- A student who receives the Yellow Ribbon grant from Duke will continue to receive it as long as the following conditions exist:
- Duke remains in the program.
- The student remains continuously enrolled in the program for which he/she initially received the benefit.
- The student complies with all VA and Duke required deadlines and procedures.