New Benefit Applicants

New Benefit Applicants: Where do I start?

All of the following steps must be completed before you can be certified for benefits. Because of registration and processing timing, it is UNLIKELY benefits will be disbursed prior to your first class. Please plan accordingly.

1. Apply for benefits:
  All veterans and their dependents seeking veteran educational benefits must first apply for those benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Veterans with questions about their eligibility for the various VA educational benefit programs should first consult the VA to determine their eligibility for specific programs. Contact Information: NOTE: With few exceptions only degree programs are eligible for veterans benefits at Duke. Currently, some certificate programs in the Divinity School and the School of Nursing are approved for benefits. All approvals are subject to change.
2. Receive a Certificate of Eligibility or Award Letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs

  Once the student is approved for educational benefits, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) outlining the student's benefits and eligibility period. The student must be admitted to a degree or approved certificate program at Duke. Currently, the only approved certificate program is the Post-Master's Certificate in Nursing.
3. Submit copy of Certificate of Eligibility or Award Letter to the Office of the University Registrar

The COE or Award Letter should forwarded via mail, fax, email, or in person. 

Office of the University Registrar, 1121 West Main Street, Durham, NC  27701; 919-684-4500 (fax) 

NOTE: The student must be admitted before the COE will be date stamped and forwarded to the respective Financial Aid office for Yellow Ribbon award consideration.

4. Submit Student Data Form

Complete the Student Data Form IN ENTIRETY. It will be automatically sent to the Office of the University Registrar.

This form must also be completed if any changes are made to the student's class schedule during the term.

5. Submit File Documents:
  Students will receive an email acknowledging the receipt of the COE/Award Letter and/or Student Data Form. Any of the official documents needed will be indicated. Admissions documents are used when they can be to eliminate additional submissions by the student. The enrollment certification process WILL NOT begin until all documents are on file. 
  • Copy of application to Duke
  • Copy of Duke acceptance letter
  • Official copies of *transcripts for post-secondary institutions attended
  *If any of the transcripts contain transfer credit from courses taken elsewhere, a copy of the transcript from the school where the course was originally taken must also be submitted.
  It is the student's responsibility to submit these documents to the School Certifying Official (SOC) - Office of the University Registrar. The enrollment certification process will not begin until all documents have been received.