Duke University 9
In 1839 a group of citizens from Randolph and adjacent counties in North Carolina
assembled in a log schoolhouse to organize support for a local academy founded a few
months earlier by Brantley York. Prompted, they said, by “no small share of
philanthropy and patriotism,” they espoused their belief that “ignorance and error are
the banes not only of religious but also civil societywhich rear up an almost impregnable
wall between man and happiness.” Union Institute, which they then founded, was
reorganized first in 1851 as Normal College to train teachers, and eight years later as
Trinity College, a liberal arts college, which later moved to the growing city of Durham,
North Carolina. With the establishment of the James B. Duke Indenture of Trust in 1924,
Trinity College became Duke University.
Today, Duke is a two-campus institution with a student body of about 11,000, of
whom 5,000 are enrolled in the graduate and professional programs. Established in
1969, The Fuqua School of Business joined the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Law,
Engineering, Divinity, and the Nicholas School of the Environment in preparing
qualified individuals for professional leadership and developing excellence in
education for the professions.
Themain campus (West) of Duke University is a beautifully designed
complex of buildings in Gothic architecture, bordered on the east by the Sarah P. Duke
Gardens and on the west by the 8,000-acre Duke Forest. This campus is dominated by
the Duke Chapel, whose 210-foot-high tower houses a 50-bell carillon. The William R.
Perkins Library is one of the largest research libraries in the country. The facility for The
Fuqua School of Business–the Thomas F. Keller Center for MBA Education–the
Wesley Alexander Magat Academic Center–the Lafe P. and Rita D. Fox Student
Union–is located on West Campus near the intersection of Science Drive and
Towerview Drive. The East Campus is a smaller complex of Georgian-style buildings
and has, as major points of interest, the Duke University Museum of Art and the Mary
Duke Biddle Music Building.
In January 2001 construction crews broke ground to commence the building of the
The Fuqua School of Business' new Lafe D. and Rita D. Fox Student Center, initiating