Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  9 of 117 Next Page
Information
Show Menu
Previous Page 9 of 117 Next Page
Page Background

General Information 9

Duke University

In 1839 a group of citizens from Randolph and adjacent counties in North Carolina

assembled in a log schoolhouse to organize support for a local academy founded a few months

earlier by Brantley York. Prompted, they said, by “no small share of philanthropy and

patriotism,” they espoused their belief that “ignorance and error are the banes not only of religious

but also civil society which rear up an almost impregnable wall between man and happiness.”

Union Institute, which they then founded, was reorganized first in 1851 as Normal College

to train teachers, and eight years later as Trinity College, a liberal arts college, which later moved

to the growing city of Durham, North Carolina. With the establishment of the James B. Duke

Indenture of Trust in 1924, Trinity College became Duke University.

Today, Duke is a two-campus institution with a student body of about 11,000, of whom

5,000 are enrolled in the graduate and professional programs. Established in 1969, The Fuqua

School of Business joined the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Law, Engineering, Divinity and

the Nicholas School of the Environment in preparing qualified individuals for professional

leadership and developing excellence in education for the professions.

The Campus.

The main campus (West) of Duke University is a beautifully designed

complex of buildings in Gothic architecture, bordered on the east by the Sarah P. Duke Gardens

and on the west by the 8,000-acre Duke Forest. This campus is dominated by the Duke Chapel,

whose 210-foot-high tower houses a 50-bell carillon. The William R. Perkins Library is one of

the largest research libraries in the country. The facility for The Fuqua School of Business–the

Thomas F. Keller Center for MBA Education–the Wesley Alexander Magat Academic Center–

the Lafe P. and Rita D. Fox Student Center–is located on West Campus near the intersection of

Science Drive and Towerview Drive. The East Campus is a smaller complex of Georgian-style

buildings and has, as major points of interest, the Duke University Museum of Art and the Mary

Duke Biddle Music Building. Durham is a part of the Research Triangle, an area formed by Duke

University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and North Carolina State University

at Raleigh. The Research Triangle Park, a 5,400-acre campus for research laboratories,

governmental agencies and research-oriented industries, is recognized as one of the world’s

leading science centers.

Durham, located near the center of the state, has easy access to the Great Smokies of the

Appalachian Mountains and to the scenic and historic beaches of the Outer Banks. The area

offers varied cultural and recreational activities ranging from concerts, opera, dance, theater and

recitals to intramural and collegiate sports, boating, skiing, camping and other outdoor activities.

The Fuqua School of Business.

Recognizing the importance of business education, Duke

University’s Board of Trustees established the Graduate School of Business in 1969, with the

mandate to provide management education programs of the highest quality. The school began

with two programs; an undergraduate major in management science, which no longer exists, and

a fledgling MBA program that graduated its first class of twelve students in 1972. Since that

time, the school has grown to include five major academic programs, a tenure faculty of 99, and

more than 1,200 masters degree candidates enrolled in daytime and executive MBA programs.

The school also offers a wide range of non-degree executive education programs and seminars.

J. B. Fuqua, chairman, The Fuqua Companies, Atlanta, Georgia, has supported the school

generously in its development. In honor of Mr. Fuqua’s contribution to the school and personal

participation in its growth, the school was renamed The Fuqua School of Business in 1980 by

proclamation of the Board of Trustees. In January of 1983, The Fuqua School of Business moved

into its present location on Science Drive on Duke University’s West Campus. The Thomas F.

Keller Center for MBA Education, designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes, offers one of the finest

settings for management education in the United States. The 148,000 square feet of space

provides for the instruction of MBA students in a variety of degree programs.