2017-18 Bulletin of the Duke University School of Law

The Distinction of Duke 13 History of Duke University Duke University traces its roots to 1838 in nearby Randolph County, where local Methodist and Quaker communities joined forces to found a school that they named Union Institute. After a brief period as Normal College (1851-59), the school changed its name to Trinity College in 1859 and became a liberal arts college affiliated with the Methodist Church. The college moved to the growing city of Durham in 1892 when Washington Duke provided financial assistance and another local businessman, Julian S. Carr, donated land. In December 1924, James B. Duke created a family philanthropic foundation, The Duke Endowment. One of The Duke Endowment’s key provisions provided funding for the expansion of Trinity College into Duke University. As a result of the Duke gift, Trinity underwent both academic and physical expansion. The original Durham campus became known as East Campus and was rebuilt in stately Georgian architecture. West Campus, Gothic in style and dominated by the soaring tower of the Duke Chapel, opened in 1930. East Campus then served as the home of the Woman’s College of Duke University until 1972, when the men’s and women’s colleges merged into the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences. Today, East Campus houses all first-year undergraduate students. Duke has a long history of educating women. Three young women, the Giles sisters, received Trinity College degrees in 1878, and women entered the college as regular students in 1892. Washington Duke’s gift to the school’s endowment in 1896 was based on the condition that the college would treat women “on an equal footing with men” by establishing an on-campus residence for them. Today, about equal numbers of undergraduate women and men attend the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences. Engineering courses were first taught intermittently in the nineteenth century starting in 1882. Engineering became a permanent department in 1910, an undergraduate College of Engineering in 1939, and a School of Engineering in 1966 after the addition of graduate courses. The school was renamed the Edmund T. Pratt Jr. School of Engineering in 1999. Academic expansion of the university throughout its history has included the establishment of other new graduate and professional schools, as well. The first divinity (BD) degree was awarded in 1927, the first PhD in 1928, and the first MD in 1932. The School of Law, founded in 1904, was reorganized in 1930. The following year, the undergraduate School of Nursing was established, transforming in 1985 to a graduate school. The School of Forestry, which was founded in 1938, became the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies in 1974 and was renamed the Nicholas School of the Environment in 1995. The business school was established in 1969 and renamed The Fuqua School of Business in 1980. In 2009, the Sanford School of Public Policy became Duke University’s tenth school. Modern times have seen Duke emerge as a major center of learning far removed from its origins in a one-room schoolhouse. Its reach is now global, with international campuses, including one in Kunshan, China, and many students who study and do service abroad. Duke schools and departments are consistently ranked among the nation’s very best, and several have achieved international prominence. The university frequently wins attention for its research achievements and academic innovations, and its faculty often is called upon to provide leaders for academic and professional organizations. Duke continues to work hard to honor James B. Duke’s charge to attain “a place of real leadership in the educational world.” Today, Duke embraces a diverse community of learners, including approximately 6,500 undergraduates and 7,500 graduate and professional students from a multiplicity of backgrounds. Its motto, Eruditio et Religio , reflects the university’s fundamental belief in the union of knowledge and faith, the advancement of learning, and the defense of scholarship. Duke University has encouraged generations of students to understand and appreciate the world they live in, their opportunities, and their responsibilities. For more historical information, visit http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/uarchives . Duke University School of Law The mission of the Duke Law School is to (1) prepare students for responsible and productive lives in the legal profession by providing the most rigorous possible education within a collaborative, supportive, and diverse environment, and (2) provide national and international leadership in improving the law and legal institutions through research and public service. In carrying out this mission, the faculty recognizes that the most effective legal education entails more than teaching legal rules, which are countless and subject to frequent change and reinterpretation. The best lawyers are those whose intellectual discipline, creative problem- solving skills, critical thinking, and sound judgment can be adapted to new fields and unanticipated circumstances. In addition to analytical skills, lawyers require a strong ethical compass, leadership abilities, strong professional skills, and a commitment to engaging in the world and using their training to make it better. Duke Law School helps students develop all of these capacities in a context that is both collegial and intellectually demanding. The faculty also recognizes that research and service should relate to the improvement, and better public understanding, of law and legal institutions. It is committed to diverse research approaches, methodologies, and points of view, and to interdisciplinary collaboration. The Distinction of Duke

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjU1MjU1