Transcript FAQs

Ordering Transcripts

Yes, Duke does offer electronic transcripts. Electronic transcripts are the fastest, most secure, and environmentally-friendly method to request your transcript.

At this time, unofficial transcripts are available only to current Duke students. This unofficial transcript can be ordered in the Forms & Requests section of DukeHub. For complete instructions, please see this guide.

Electronic transcripts are delivered in a secure certified PDF document, in most cases within minutes of placing your order. 

Paper transcript requests are normally processed within 2-3 business days. 

An “on hold” status means your request requires a staff member to manually process, no additional steps are required by you. Examples include electronic transcripts for students attending prior to 2000 or if your account requires a staff member to review your student information. Please allow additional processing time.


Understanding Your Transcript

Each Duke institution publishes an annual bulletin, which includes a complete course catalog for that academic year.

For current publications, click here.
For archived bulletins, go to the current bulletin page for the appropriate Duke school and look under Archived Bulletins.

For a complete key to symbols used on a Duke University transcript, see our transcript guide. The guide also offers grading standards for each Duke institution.

The following sentence appears at the top of Duke's transcript guide, which is included with any transcript:

One semester-course credit unit is equivalent to four semester hours.


Other Transcript Questions

If you are sending your Duke transcript to an organization or application service such as LSAC (Law School Admission Council), AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service), or a similar group, you will need upload your additional document(s) in the Add an Attachment (Optional) section of the order form.

Screenshot of Parchment, with Add an Attachment button circled in red.

Your Duke University transcript will include a record of classes taken while abroad (designated transfer credit), but Duke does not issue transcripts on behalf of any affiliated institutions or organizations.

To receive an official transcript of your classes taken while abroad, you must contact the institution or organization that you attended and follow their policy for requesting transcripts. If you need help getting in touch with your institution or organization, contact the Global Education Office.

Duke does not release any documentation submitted from another source as part of your student record. Contact the original source of the transcript/test scores to receive a copy of your record/results.

If you participated in Duke University’s Continuing Studies program, call their office (919-684-6259) to request your transcript. There is a $10 fee per copy. For more information, visit the Continuing Studies website or contact

Duke University neither issues transcripts for nor retains records of classes taken through Duke TIP or Watts School of Nursing. For help retrieving your record from one of these programs, please contact the organization directly.

Duke TIP
Watts School of Nursing