The following policies and procedures have been adopted for Duke University in the case of military call-up of students enrolled in credit coursework:
- University-wide, any student called up for military service will be placed on an immediate leave of absence.
- The designation of W will appear on the transcript next to each course, without a pass/fail designation. A tag line will indicate military service for the semester.
- If the call-up occurs late enough in the semester to make an Incomplete for one or more courses; if approval for the I is granted by the appropriate academic officials, an I will appear on the transcript rather than a W for the course or courses in question. Regulations governing the completion of such coursework in any given school shall apply in these cases, with the provision that time while on active military service will not count against the period allowed for converting the I to a grade.
- Students withdrawing from all coursework will get a full tuition refund, no matter the date of the call-up, as well as a full refund for textbooks purchased from University stores and returned to those stores. Miscellaneous fees will also be refunded in full, along with unearned insurance premiums for those students on the Duke Insurance Plan. University housing charges will be refunded on a pro-rata basis, depending on the date of departure. For students participating in the freshman board plan, dining charges will be refunded on a pro-rata basis, depending on the date of departure. Unused dining credits and Duke card points will be refunded in full.
- Students exercising the option of taking Incompletes will not receive any tuition refunds if their continued enrollment in courses places them in the category of full-time student. For Incompletes constituting a part-time courseload, tuition will be charged by the course, using an already established per course fee or a designated fraction of a flat term rate. Book expenses will not be refunded for courses in which the student maintains enrollment. Policies regarding miscellaneous fee, insurance premiums, room, and board are the same as those described above.
- Any financial aid awards will be adjusted as appropriate in all cases.
A student receiving notice of a military call-up will take the original notification to his or her academic dean.
The dean will discuss options and procedures regarding academic coursework and will give to the student a copy of the refund policies with instructions for further actions on the part of the student should such be necessary to obtain these funds. (This information sheet will be drawn up in advance and will be available in the deans' offices.)
After a determination has been made by the student, in concert with the dean, about academic options, the dean will place the student on leave of absence and will notify the Bursar, Registrar, Vice President for Student Affairs, appropriate financial aid officer, and university bookstore directors of this action, using a memorandum template provided by the Office of the Provost for such cases of military call-up. The dean will attach to this memo a copy of the call-up letter as well as any additional pertinent documents regarding leave of absence and course withdrawals or grades of Incomplete.
Important Financial Information for Students Called-up to Military Duty
If, after meeting with your dean, you are granted a leave of absence and are withdrawn from all of your courses, the following adjustments will be made to your Bursar account charges for that particular term:
- Tuition - Full refund
- Health Fee - Full refund
- Recreation Fee - Full refund
- Student Government/Activity Fees - Full refund
- Dining Contract Fee - Full refund
- House Dues - Full refund
- Residential Programming Fee - Full refund
- Housing - Pro-rated 1
- Dining - Pro-rated 2
- Books - Full refund3
- Insurance - University Plan Pro-rated4
If, after meeting with your dean, you are granted an "Incomplete" on all or part of your course work, the following adjustments will be made to your Bursar account charges for that particular term:
- continued enrollment status = full-time student - No refund
- continued enrollment status = part-time student - Partial refund5
- course enrollment maintained (Incomplete) - No refund
- course enrollment withdrawn - Full refund
Policies regarding miscellaneous fees, insurance premiums, room and board are the same as described in the first section ("Withdrawal") above.
- Pro-rated from the date you return your key to your Housing Service Office and vacate University housing.
- Pro-rated based on unused points at the time your account is closed.
- Applies to books purchased from the University Textbook Store, Gothic Bookshop, or Medical Center Bookstore. Please return books to these bookstores for a refund—this adjustment will not appear on your Bursar account.
- Please contact Hill, Chesson & Woody at 919-489-7426 to cancel your insurance coverage. They will issue a refund that will be credited to your Bursar account.
- Tuition will be charged by the course, using an already established per course fee or a designated fraction of a flat term rate.
Adopted October 2001